How to Move More, Everyday!
Today’s world has made it far too easy to be sedentary. We get to work, sit for eight hours, go home, do a few things around the house, and then spend the rest of the evening sitting in front of the television.
The good news is that there are many little ways you can break the sedentary rut, and add more movement to your day. Here are a few ways you can mix up your routine:
- Cross-train during commercials. Do jumping jacks, mountain climbers, or crunches.
- Take the long way, or make more trips. When your running errands or doing chores, make several trips. You get bonus points if you are making several trips up and down stairs.
- Get chores done. Garden, mow your lawn, or rake leaves to burn about 180 calories in just 30 minutes.
- Walk while you talk. Have a walking meeting at work. Instead of meeting your friends at a coffee shop to catch up, grab your java to go, and talk while you walk around town.
- Play at the playground. You’re never too old for the monkey bars or swings! This is another great way to spend time with your kiddos and create lasting memories.
- Feel the grocery store burn. Ditch the shopping cart! Instead, carry two bags over your shoulder, and fill them up with groceries as you shop.
- Time your vacuuming or dusting. Ready, set, go! Try to finish your chore in ten minutes – you’ll probably work a little faster.
- Stand around. No, really. If you have a standing workstation, use it. If you don’t, stand up and walk around your office or cubical while you are on a conference call. Bonus points for engaging your core while you are standing.
For more tips on how you can be more active throughout your day check out some of our Wellness Toolkits.